Today’s Ask an SEO question comes from Moses from Nairobi, who asks:
What advice can you give to those aspiring to join the SEO profession starting from the best courses to take through from beginners to advance.
What a great question!
First, I want to say that embarking on an SEO career is exciting. It’s a profession that is fast-paced and always evolving.
While taking courses is a great idea to get started, there is a lot more you can do to learn the ropes.
Don’t worry, I’ll still answer the question about courses, but will give some extra tips, too.
1. Complete SEO Courses & Related Certifications
There are a lot of free SEO courses that will give you a foundation of knowledge. Below are a handful for you to consider:
- Search Engine Journal’s SEO Guides: Search Engine Journal has two guides designed specifically for beginners, and they’re are packed with information from industry experts. If you haven’t already, get both of the ebooks SEO for Beginners: An Introduction to SEO Basics and A Complete Guide to SEO: What You Need to Know.
- HubSpot SEO Certification Course: This one is free and includes 6 lessons and 23 videos. It covers a lot of the fundamentals, such as on-page optimization, keyword research, link building, and reporting.
- Semrush Academy – SEO Fundamentals Course with Greg Gifford: This is a free course offered through Semrush Academy and taught by Greg Gifford. It includes 8 modules that incorporate videos, readings, and quizzes.
- Google Analytics Individual Qualification: As an SEO, you are going to be spending a lot of time in Google Analytics and must be able to use it efficiently. To get certified, take the Google Analytics for Beginners and Advanced Google Analytics courses. Then you can take the Google Analytics Individual Qualification exam. It’s well worth it!
Here is a more comprehensive list of SEO courses to check out: Best Free Online SEO Training Courses in 2021.
2. Create a Website You Can Use as Practice
Once you feel as though you have a good grasp on SEO practices, try out your new knowledge.
When I wanted to get more experience with SEO, I built my own site so that I could test the things I was learning.
Now, it was not the most aesthetically pleasing website, but it gave me hands-on experience understanding the basic and technical aspects of SEO. It also allowed me to test different techniques and was a great learning tool.
I recommend using WordPress as your CMS and to make it easy, find an existing theme you can implement.
Then, start applying your newfound SEO knowledge. Doing so will help you become familiar with HTML, optimization, and technical SEO.
If you are wondering what the website should be about, consider a blog on a topic you’re already interested in.
3. Watch Webinars & Listen to Podcasts
What I love about the SEO community is everyone’s willingness to share their knowledge and expertise.
There is no shortage of webinars and podcasts on a range of SEO topics. Even though I have been in SEO for a long time, I still tune in to learn from other experts in the field. Below is just a sample:
- Search Engine Journal Webinars.
- The Search Engine Journal Show.
- Voices of Search.
- SEO 101.
- BrightEdge Webinars.
The following are not necessarily webinars or podcasts, but you will learn a ton!
- Online Webmasters Office Hours Hangout.
- Search Engine Roundtable Vlog.
Also, here is a bigger list of podcasts to check out: Top 17 SEO Podcasts for 2021.
Don’t Stop the Learning Process
You might even want to consider joining SEO groups on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Clubhouse.
Be sure to read How to Become an SEO Expert for even more success tips and cheers to your path in becoming an SEO professional!
- 10 Important 2021 SEO Trends You Need to Know
- History of Google Algorithm Updates
- Learn SEO: The 38 Best Blogs, Resources & Publications
Editor’s note: Ask an SEO is a weekly SEO advice column written by some of the industry’s top SEO experts, who have been hand-picked by Search Engine Journal. Got a question about SEO? Fill out our form. You might see your answer in the next #AskanSEO post!